Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Our National Flag

I have always admired the big national flag fluttering outside the Tashichhodzong in Thimphu. I always assumed that the caretaker or probably a police on duty would come and hoist the flag every morning, in an ordinary way.

However, recently I had a meeting at the dzong and the meeting was over at 4:50 PM. By the time I came out of the dzong and started walking toward the parking lot, office time was already over. I saw three monks fully dressed (as if going for a ceremony) coming behind me followed by a group of policemen well dressed for drill. I was confused and thought they were going to the palace but they were actually going to bring down the flag. It was such a beautiful process and I though to myself, if bringing down requires such a process, I wonder how they hoist it.

Luckily I had a camera with me, so I got to take some picture of the process.





























2 comments:

  1. Wow. Nice. I didn't know about this. Not many would have known about it at all. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I didn't know that the flag was such a big in size.

    ReplyDelete